A brand new and shiny version of the best CMS ever – WordPress – has been released. Version 3.9, code-named “Smith” brings quite a few noticeable improvements. Mostly, these are around the post editor – a new version of TinyMCE, previews for galleries and playlists for audio and video, in-editor image resize and drag-n-drop file uploads. Also, widget settings were much improved, especially with the live preview before save. Watch the quick release video and read more here.
Being a developer myself, I’m of course also guilty of an occasional cryptic changelog message. But this one, from the latest update of the SEO Ultimate WordPress plugin, puzzled quite a few people I showed it to:
Version 188.8.131.52 (April 14, 2014)
- Bugfix: Rich Snippet Creator’s “Place” search result type address fields appearance fix
What is that all about? How many nouns can you use one after another in a single sentence?
I’ve covered the simple, but very functional p2 theme for WordPress, that helps one to create an Intranet in five minutes or so. One thing that p2 lacks a bit though is eye-pleasing beauty. It’s simple and functional alright, but it’s not much to look at.
It turns out that people all around the globe were working to solve this problem, mostly with a variety of child themes. Today I came across one such project – Houston.
Now I can’t wait to try it out on one of my upcoming projects.
One of the most popular WordPress plugins – Google XML Sitemap – has recently been upgrade to version 4.0, with some significant changes. Here is the quote from the changelog:
New in Version 4.0 (2014-03-30):
- No static files anymore, sitemap is created on the fly!
- Sitemap is split-up into sub-sitemaps by month, allowing up to 50.000 posts per month!
- Support for custom post types and custom taxonomis!
- 100% Multisite compatible, including by-blog and network activation.
- Reduced server resource usage due to less content per request.
- New API allows other plugins to add their own, separate sitemaps.
- Note: PHP 5.1 and WordPress 3.3 is required! The plugin will not work with lower versions!
- Note: This version will try to rename your old sitemap files to *-old.xml. If that doesn’t work, please delete them manually since no static files are needed anymore!