2007 is almost over, so it’s a good time to take a moment and review how it passed.
First, let’s see how my 2007 expectations turned out to be:
- Paperwork. I have done a few things about it, but not as much as I have expected.Â While bureaucracy can often be blamed, this time it’s not the case.Â The lack of progress in this area is totally my fault.Â Laziness.
- Business.Â I managed to fly the company into the ground.Â It crashed, burned, and disappeared. It’s a bit sad that it didn’t work out, but I’m glad that it happened earlier than later, and I’m glad that I’ve learned so much out of it.Â I will surely try it again, but in a different key, and after I take a break to heal the wounds.
- Â Traveling. It didn’t go as good as I expected it to, but I did manage to get out of country.Â A few days in Greece with some really cool people.
Secondly, let’s take a look at the highlights of the year (most of these overlap with this recent post):
- Getting in and out of my own business is surely THE highlight of the year.Â Getting another job after that is a nice addition.
- A few days at Greek Blogger Camp. Unforgettable experience, cool people, inspiration for new ideas, and all that.
- Lots of family relatedÂ happenings.Â Maxim starting with his kindergarten, mother visiting us twice this year, grandmother passing away, Maxim getting a little surgery, and some more.
Thirdly, here are my impressions of the year:
- It was THE LONGEST year of my life.Â On several occasions I had doubts that this year will ever end. And even though there are just a few hours left in it, I still don’t feel comfortable enough speaking of it like it’s over.
- I’ve learned a lot. And I went a long way.Â Most of the things I’ve learned were about myself, and many of these weren’t as pleasant as I’d like them to be, but I’m glad I know them know. Heck, I even I learned to deal with some of them to a certain degree.
- I got more ties with my family. I’ve heard before that the older you become, the more family means to you.Â I feel it coming true.Â I am as close to my parents as I ever was, and I understood a little bit more of how much my wife and my son mean to me.Â More than I thought or felt before.Â As weird as it is.
- I discovered that I have more good people around me than I ever knew or even expected.Â I’ve discovered some really great things about people who have been nearby for years, and who I barely noticed.Â It’s amazing how much can one see by just looking and hear by just listening.Â I should work a bit more on myself to get better at that.
Here is 2007 in one line: it was a great and long year, but I hope it will never happen to me again.
Now, let’s go for the bright side of things – which expectations do I have for the year 2008?Â I have plenty:
- Jobs, projects, business.Â I expect some stirring up in this area during 2008.Â I am working on some things already, and I have plenty more in mind.
- Traveling.Â I do expect a bit more of moving around.Â Some will be family related, some – business related, and some – recreational.
- Paperwork.Â There are some really strong reasons for this to be either completely resolved this year or getting much closer to resolved.
- Technology.Â I have plenty of expectations in this area for the coming year.Â Many of this expectations are related to Google, mobile computing, Web, and growing number of people using technology to earn money and make their lives easier (globalization, et al).
Let’s see how it will turn out…
Happy New Year!