http2 explained – This document describes http2 at a technical and protocol level. Background, the protocol, the implementations and the future.
- The http2 spec is expected to ship in June 2014 (a month or two away!)
- http2 is heavily based on Google’s SPDY
- http2 is binary
- http2 fixes a lot of issues with HTTP 1.1 (pipelining, head of line blocking, etc)
- http2 brings new features (server push, block, reset)
- http2 will keep the URL schemes (http and https)
- http2 will mostly be implemented for https (via protocol negotiations in TLS)
- http2 already has a variety of implementations: Firefox and Google Chrome (MSIE coming), cURL, Goolge, Twitter, Facebook. Apache and Nginx expected.