Performance improvements

Just wanted to let you all know that I’ve made a couple of changes recently, which should result in a somewhat faster performance of this site.

Firstly, before the last weekend, I’ve moved all my DNS hosting to Amazon Route 53 service.  This should result in faster DNS queries all around the globe and minimize the potential downtimes.

Secondly, I’ve installed and configured the JS & CSS Optimizer WordPress plugin, which now results in much fewer HTTP requests needed to load the page, as well as fewer bytes to be transferred around.   I’m still tweaking the settings for this one to see how much I can squeeze out of it, but I already see an improvement.

As always, if you see any issues, please let me know.

HTTP/1.1 just got a major update – somehow I missed this last month.

The IETF just published several new RFCs that update HTTP/1.1:

These documents make the original specification for HTTP/1.1 obsolete. As a HTTP geek, this is a big deal.

RFC 2616, which was written more than 15 years ago, was the specification everybody has implemented, and I suspect many of you occassionally have used as a reference.

Migrating Twitter Bootstrap 2.3.2 to 3.0

For those of us who are starting to look into Twitter Bootstrap 3.0  for new projects and possible migration of old projects from Twitter Bootstrap 2.3.2 to 3.0, I found a couple of good resources.   Firstly, this very brief StackOverflow discussion on what has changed between the versions.  And secondly, this really nice migration guide.

If only there was an automation tool that works for me… A few were mentioned in this StackOverflow discussion, but none did anything sensible on my projects.  I guess I’ll have to roll out my own, or use some manual labour in combination with powerful search-and-replace tools.