During the last few days I’ve been asked by several people what I think about the scary bit of news regarding the shutdown of Delicious. I’ve replied individually several times, but I feel that a blog post is in order. So here it goes.
First of all, Delicious is not being shutdown. Here is a quote from their blog:
Is Delicious being shut down? And should I be worried about my data?– No, we are not shutting down Delicious. While we have determined that there is not a strategic fit at Yahoo!, we believe there is a ideal home for Delicious outside of the company where it can be resourced to the level where it can be competitive.
- All features that are vital for me are a part of the free subscription. More features are available for premium subscribers.
- Cross-browser support that covers all browsers that I care about.
- Support for sharing of bookmarks. That’s the main reason for me to actually use a social bookmarking service instead of a much simpler bookmark synchronization service.
- Support for private bookmarks. I want to share as much as possible, but not everything.
- Easy integration with third-party tools and services. For example, using an RSS feed.
- Support for direct import from Delicious.
But with all that said, I want to stress it once again – Delicious is not shutting down. So if you use and enjoy the service, simply continue doing just that. No need to worry.