The best practices of web design and development suggest that I need to set up some goals and monitoring before I make any changes to the web site. This way, I will be able to track how the changes affect the performance of the web site.
The problem is that right now my web site is not set very well for goals that I want it to achieve. But insufficient monitoring is better than none, so I logged into my Google Analytics account and configured the following goals.
According to my own goals for this web site, as described yesterday, I want to get hired more. The only way to track it now is to see how many people used the Contact me page. I will eventually improve my contact details and contact form to be able to track more details. Once that is done, I’ll reconfigure this goal.
One other thing I want people to do is read more of my movie reviews. Again, there is no easy way of monitoring it now, so I just setup a goal for the Movies category. This will probably get reconfigured later.
And just to have some generic goals for an overall picture, I added tracking for those who visit more than 2 pages and for those who spend more than 2 minutes on the site. That should be enough for starters.
One thought on “Rebuilding mamchenkov.net – Step 2 – Monitoring”