Here goes the Answers section, which I was talking about in the previous post. Guess, I managed to start it today.
Yet another idea for a new section came to mind today. Webalizer reports shows me query strings used by people to find my site in the search engines. Most of these queries allow me to guess what the person who made the query was looking for. It would be cruel of me not to provide the, so much needed, information. Therefor, I will open a section soon (today/tomorrow) which will present queries, rephrased question and answers to those people who found my site in the search engine. Of course, I might be late for some, but late is better then never.
I’ve spent most of the day making a new site. Simple and tidy. No fancy staff. Lots of pictures. Hopefully, it will be released this week to the public. Stay tuned.
Autocreating home directories for new user entries in the LDAP directory for morning, and some magic with amanda reports for the rest of the day. Let’s call it a productive day.
Few SpamAssassin installations here and there. Some PHP with LDAP. Lots of email.
Updated my list of books. The more I want, the less I get. At least until now.
One of my most productive days ever. About 70KB of properly working PHP code for LDAP handling. Heh. And they call me a sysadmin…
Beer and poker game in the evening.
Morning started with debugging – the storage we’ve got yesterday didn’t want to boot at all, although Red Hat Linux 8 installation finished OK. BIOS check revealled that boot devices were specified only to be a network adapter, floppy, and a CDROM. OK. Fixed, but didn’t solve the problem. Rescue mode showed that installation did indeed went OK. Everything is there. Boot floppy successfully brings the system up. Some more playing with the BIOS, and ole! Second RAID controller was specified as a first, and first – as second. Problem fixed.
Finishing LDAP interfaces I wrote in PHP. Somewhere I have a stupid problem with
crypt() using DES.
Lots of talking with our developers:
ctags enlightenment, “always full” UNIX memory approach, iabb and Ctrl+P/Ctrl+N complition in vim, email aliases and scripts for mail processing, etc.
Some talking with our admins aswell: open-source vs. closed-source, de facto vs de juro standards, Exchange and Outlook in Linux world, system development life cycle, and the like.
Arrivals day. First, early in the morning, first book (out of 2 ordered) arrived from Amazon.co.uk. Surprisingly, it took it almost 2 month to come.
Then, after lunch, our 4U Terabyte Gorilla Storage arrived. IDE versino with total capacity of roughly 2.7 TB claimed (16 drives x 160 GB each). It has 2 3Com Escalade 7500 IDE RAID controllers. Each one handles a RAID 5 configuration of 8 disks. Out of curiosity, I’ve changed the configuration to 7 disks + 1 spare on each controller. Looks nice till now. There are two pairs of keys – one pair for the front cover, another – for hard disks. Lock ’em up, hehe. Drives are hot-swappable. Nice. Dual redundant power supply, but from the single source. Not too bright. Lots of fans inside. Good. 4, afair, PCI slots still available, but 2 of them are not accessible due to IDE cables sticking out from controllers. Still, not bad. Internal design looks good.
I’ve started with Red Hat Linux 8.0 installation later, but didn’t wait until it’ll finish. Linux sees raids as two separate SCSI disks (sda,sdb). Funny thing with the default 5% of disk space allocation for root comes to something about 13 GBytes on a 1.1 TB partition. Mp3 time.
Lots of PHP coding. Then a bit more of PHP coding. Some PHP coding for desert. Finished the day with yet some more PHP coding and a nice fish tavern dinner.
P.S.: Happy Valentine day to everyone.