Fast Company shares the 10 surprising social media statistics that will make you rethink your social strategy. I wouldn’t go as far as saying that all of them are really all that surprising, but they are mostly interesting. Here they are in a nutshell:
- The fastest growing demographic on Twitter is the 55-64 year age bracket.
- 189 million of Facebook’s users are “mobile only”.
- YouTube reaches more US adults aged 18-34 than any cable network.
- Every second two new members join LinkedIn.
- Social media has overtaken port as #1 activity on the web.
- LinkedIn has a lower percentage of active users than Pinterest, Google+, Twitter and Facebook.
- 93% of marketers use social media for business.
- 25% of smartphone owners ages 18-44 say they can’t recall the last time their smartphone wasn’t next to them.
- Even though 62% of marketers blog or plan to blog in 2013, only 9% of US marketing companies employ a full-time blogger.
- 25% of Facebook users don’t bother with privacy settings.
Read the whole thing for more details, links, stats, visualization, and ideas on how to utilize this information.