One of the very few things we still rely on from Microsoft at work is Office 365. Not because it is so great, but because I simply didn’t have the time to move away yet (quiet Christmas season is coming soon). Most people don’t get exposed much to it anyway, using Evolution or Thunderbird email clients, or forwarding everything to Gmail altogether. But as an administrator of the service I get constantly annoyed by the “there are problems with your domain” notification. After ignoring it for about a year, I decided to finally fix it. All that was needed is a couple of records in the DNS zone.
Unfortunately, the instructions Microsoft provides don’t quite well apply to Amazon Route 53 user interface. It took me a few tries and some searching to find the right ones. Here they are, thanks to a comment on this page:
1. Log into Route 53.
2. in the hosted zones window, check the box next to YOURDOMAIN.com
3. click [ > Go to Record Sets]
4. Click [Create Record Set]
5. Enter _sipfederationtls._tcp , in the Name field
6. Switch type to SRV – Service locator
7. In the Value window Enter: 100 1 5061 sipfed.online.lync.com
8. Click [Create]
9. Click [Create Record Set]
10. Enter: _sip._tls , in the name field
11. Switch type to SRV – Service locator
12. In the Value window Enter: 100 1 443 sipdir.online.lync.com
13. Click [Create]