Some work on my school project. Random reading of Perl books and Dijkstra articles. Beer session. Lots of nice Q3 OSP TDM games. Even few demos posted on Gamers.CY.
Finally, I found some time to install and play with Red Hat Beta (Limbo). As far as I understood, it’s gonna be Red Hat Linux 8.0 when done, because it is compiled with new gcc, thus being not fully binary compatible with previous releases. Here is a small review o’mine.
Mostly, everything is covered in Release Notes. As they mention, framebuffer installation is replaced by the native X one. Media check is much suggested by the installation process before you proceed. UI interface is based on new gnome/gtk, which makes it look even nicer. Disk partitioning has a couple of new options: first, you can do LVM volumes from now on, and second, you can disable display of RAID partitions and LVM volumes.
Another new thing (?) is a suggested minimum of 75 MB for /boot partition. While I think it’s a bit excessive, there should not be a problem with modern drives.
Lots of work has been done in the area of package selection. Much cleaner interface and boasted xml comp file. One thing I found strange, is Midnight Commader being placed in Text-based Internet utilities group. Arguable though. While I played with package selection, I have noticed a squirellmail web-mail package in one of the groups. Excellent!
Kernel developemnt group of packages got a new icon with the pictureof Marcello.
After playing with the selection, I went for full install, which promised to be 4,758 MB. That helped me to notice that ISO images are actually 700 MB, instead of 650 as they used to be. Installation time of all packages on my system lasted for about an hour. I really enjoyed new ads while the process. Fortunes were really nice and refreshing.
Distro appeared to be usable even on my PII/350MHz with 256 MB of RAM. Both Gnome and KDE looked fine. OpenOffice.org works out of the box. Evolution too. There is now a tool for changing resolution and color depth too. I really look forward for the final release. It will be The Distribution for desktop use.
My secondary workstation at the office finally got a fixed CD-ROM and a bigger hard drive. Immidiately downloaded Red Hat Beta (Limbo) and it now awaits testing. I just hope that I will install it before the final version of Red Hat Linux 8.0 will come out.
Nothing much happening, so I’ve decided to test out Mozilla 1.1 beta before final will come out. Building RPM based on 1.0.0 version started complaining about 1.0.0 specific patches and reminded about long-needed upgrade of my office workstation.
It’ve been a long time since last update. Here is what I am up to:
- I am working on a new site, which will merge this site and my home portal. Among other things, there will be interface for submitting news like this one, instead of editing html files.
- I am working on a project for school/college management. It is too early to talk about it yet, but I am aiming at creating a free solution for educational institituion management, which will include things like: schedule generation, students/classes/courses management, students’ grades and quality control, and much more. Stay tuned…
- I have been also occupyied a lot by my primary work. Videowalls, migration to Linux, and some other things got me blown away. Now, with the enterprise subscription to the Red Hat Network, I hope I’ll get some more time freed.
I got married to my beloved girlfriend Olga. May we live happily everafter.
Came across nv-tv-out utility which helps tuning nvidia drivers. It is particularly useful for getting rid off black borders around the image on TV. What I need now is to figure out how to get SVIDEO output from my video card into RGB input of TV. VGA? :)
ripMIME is a handy piece of software that helps with attachment processing. I have configured ripMIME and procmail to save all attachments coming to my inbox into a special directory.
Lots of small things today: monthly backups scheduled, inserted few fresh tapes into the cycle, played with Mutt 1.4 (found it much faster with opening/closing/sorting of mailboxes then 1.2), upgraded GeForce2 to the one with 64 MBytes of memory, revisited Subversion website (modern alternative to CVS), some other small fixes and updates.
Not much happenning. For the last couple of days I was playing with NVidia driver options for TwinView and TV-OUT. Nothing particularly interesting though. Mozilla 1.0 occupied lots of my time aswell. Mainly I was focused on the Calendar project for Mozilla. While it is still to young for production use, the idea of calendar server backend gives lots of hope for the MS Exchange environments.