- Joined http://foursquare.com . They have a website version for mobile devices that their apps don't support. Need to go somewhere now. :) #
- Apparently,dedicated server #hosting comes as low as 30EUR/month these days. For 70+ EUR/month you can get a good server. #
- I favorited a YouTube video — Fur TV – Do Condoms Reduce Sensitivity ? http://youtu.be/ny8U346oI6Y?a #
- I favorited a YouTube video — Fedora 13 Goddard http://youtu.be/KbCO0jT6L3Q?a #
- Somehow nobody realized that one of the vital company servers runs on 1GB of RAM. And it's an old 1.6 dual-core machine, staffed with disks. #
- I need a #wordpress plugin to send newsletter using posts of specific category.Subscribe/unsubscribe feature too.Please advise plugin.Thanks #
- I favorited a YouTube video — Football is for girls … try RUGBY http://youtu.be/3icksHJDjA8?a #
- I favorited a YouTube video — This is Rugby http://youtu.be/cEzh2tKgdI4?a #
While investigating an unrelated issue on our backup server, I came across an interesting discussion about gzip vs. bzip2. I was surprised to read on how much slower bzip2 is. I even tested it on our server. And as expected, I saw the huge difference.
$ du -sh home 819M home $ time tar czf test.tar.gz home real 3m29.741s user 1m4.026s sys 0m5.629s $ time tar cjf test.tar.bz2 home real 11m38.751s user 6m19.259s sys 0m7.237s $ ll test.tar* -rw-r--r-- 1 leonid users 365987716 2010-06-29 13:08 test.tar.bz2 -rw-r--r-- 1 leonid users 390655750 2010-06-29 12:56 test.tar.gz
For such a small difference in size, the compression time difference is huge! Of course, I should play with more parameters, repeat the tests several times, and test the decompression time too. But the above test is still a good indication. Way too many scripts out there use the default parameters and substitute gzip with gzip2 without any testing. That’s obviously asking for trouble.
Here is something to live for for all of you Harry Potter fans out there – an official trailer for “Harry Ptter and the Deathly Hallows”. Apparently they stuffed so much into that part, that they had to break it into two. I wonder how that will go with the movie going crowd and the pirates.