Today I did a test move of our development linux server to another machine. It took me less then two hours to do so, considering about 7 GBytes of data, and difference in hardware (Compaq machine and IBM machine). I have used tar, netcat and Red Hat Linux 7.2 disk. Everything seems to work find, except for Microsoft DNS server loosing track of the machine and generating some random junk. Tomorrow I will move few more servers.
Month: March 2002
Building and compiling
Nothing much today:
- crossover plugin finally started to work (problem was with the NIC, not with the plugin itself).
- MySQL rpms for version 3.23.49 built good, but no changes noticed in handling foreign keys/references. Maybe it’s just me.
- 2.4.18 kernel rpms were built good too. Probably I will upgrade my machine tomorrow. Reasons for upgrade: new scheduler and fixes in USB.
I got my ADSL ping to the gateway reduced from 50-60ms to 20-30. Quake will be much smoother now.
Codeweavers CrossOver plugin
Playing with Codeweavers CrossOver plugin. Not yet managed to make it work, but very close :) . Meanwhile, Slashdot has a link to the review.