Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) is a great tool for setting up diskless machines. I have setup a ThinkNIC thin client as described in the documentation in the matter of minutes. Next nice thing to try is running applications locally on thin client.
It looks like migrating a well-established business from Windows to Linux is an interesting project. Especially, if the business is not a stand alone coffee shop, but a corporation with 400+ users. Fortunately, prior experience with thin clients might suddenly get useful. Up to now I consider the following plan to be the easiest way (I am not a money guy, so, no focus on prices here):
- Investigate alternatives for each and every application needed.
- Configure small test environment with only few users (mainly from IT department) and run it for some time.
- Migrate workstations of regular users.
- Migrate servers.
- Migrate development (New projects are done on new platform.Old projects are transfered gradually.).
- Migrate workstations of “power” users.