It often happens so that administrator’s password for MySQL is lost or forgotten. The easiest way to fix the problem is to open /var/lib/mysql/mysql/user.MYD in hex editor and replace the encrypted string near “localhost root” with spaces. Then mysql service should be restarted, and that’s it.
I have put online new mutt rpms and configs with S/MIME support and LDAP address book configuration. No NNTP and compressed mailboxes support this time. Outlook appointments converter to ical calendar is available though.
After long tweaking and changing all possible and impossible settings I actually managed to fix my Quake 3 and now I get up to 140 frames per second. Thanks to [bofh]-mokh and [FC]-Pekker for their help.
I have also decided that it is time refresh my home library. I have ordered several books from O’Reilly. This time I tried not to limit myself with one topic and asked for books on everything :) (vi, cvs, php+mysql web programming, exim, perl for system administration, etc). Waiting is painful!
Last few days I have spent installing a HA (High-availability) cluster. I needed an active/active setup for two nodes to run Apache and PostgreSQL services. Both nodes are connected to external shared storage. It took me some time to get the concepts (especially with quorum partitions and raw devices), but afterwards, installation was a bliss ;). I have used KimberLite clustering technology, which is open source and free. There is also a commercial solution on the site, for those who want. SourceForge.NET Clustering Foundry was also very helpful in getting the whole thing.
Meanwhile, I managed to configure my mutt to work with MS Exchange address book over LDAP. mutt-ldap-search.
I’ve also had my workstation upgraded in certain ways :) More memory, less CPU, better graphics card (GeForce 2 MX 32MB 200 Series this time). Strangely, I cannot get more then 40FPS in Quake3 using original Nvidia drivers.
Now Last of all the news is that I am now testing init script for NovaNet services. Since Novastor didn’t provide with anything automatic to stop the service and remove all kinds of shared memory segments and semaphores, I had to write my own. It will be available for public, when initial testing is over ;) .
Recently I was playing with KickStart – this piece of software helps you in case you need to do plenty identical installations.
ksconfig is a new configuraiton tool, which helps you to create installation config file, which can later be put on the floppy for UNinteractive installation :). I used it for cluster setup where nodes are pretty much the same with all the difference set in the DHCP server.
All the small things to close working week. Rest of the day I’ve spent education myself on CVS again. :) I’ve came across CVS book at red-bean.com which I now want to order hardcopy. All my today CVS practise was around a wonderful piece of software called Mantis. It is simple yet powerfull bugtracking system, which I have adopted as technical support tool for our company. All of my changes were based on version 0.16.0, while mantis went to version 0.17.0. So, I’ve been porting all my changes to the new version. Tried both ways with traditional diff-edit-patch-repeat and cvs ways. So far, I enjoy the cvs way of doing things, and I haven’t yet tried branching and merging. Oh, I sound like a developer, don’t I? :)
Nothing much happened. Learned few things about mpeg4 and divx. Also, possibly, found a bug in xscreensaver. I will have to verify it tomorrow. Strange thing: popup windows from ical are visible even when screensaver is running.
In other news: Q3 lan party postponed for one week. Sad…
Installed Red Hat Linux 7.2 on my girlfriend’s computer. Now I have clean pure Linux network at home. I used the chance also to make few changes to home net organization. Mainly, I moved all computers to use dhcp and have /home directory nfs mounted from the server. Very convenient. I also synchronized all /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow on all machines. Dirtly temporary hack. I am trying to figure out how to make OpenLDAP work. Another thing to remember for home net setups is -R option for dhcpcd. This option will prevent DHCP client from overwriting /etc/resolv.conf and messing up info.
I am still deciding on which icq client to use. These decision cannot stabilize for like 4-5 years now ;) . Basically, I am down to choice between Licq (X), and CenterICQ (console). Both are very nice, flexible, and stable. CenterICQ seems to be more up-to-date though, using newest ICQ2000 protocol, with SMS support. It also provides a tool to convert all you history and contacts.
Meanwhile, I am also getting ready for Quake3 LAN party next Saturday. It’s my first LAN party, so I feel kinda excited :) . I’ve spent the whole night today tweaking my config file. It will be up here in the nearest future. Off to bed now…
I am pretty busy these days. My home server has been cracked via old ssh. I had to clean up the machine, then decided to use it as a honeypot for some time. By now, I think I have everything I need, so machine is reinstalled. Red Hat 7.2 has been installed on it. I am occupied with configuration of the server and I am using these downtimes to reorganize my home network a little bit. So, no usefull staff today, except for the promise that I will put together and publish here the information I got from this attack. Get back later! :)
Finally, after considerable thought, I have chosen, not without the help of others, to use TeX for writing documentation. After two days of using it, I must admit that I enjoy it really much. There are few helpful online resource like TeX User Group, UK List of TeX FAQ, LaTex and BibTeX course notes (with lots of examples). For those who can read and understand Russian, TeX FAQ and TeX section of opensource.ru might be of some help.