Amitj Aggarwal, former Staff Engineer at Google (2008-2012), has collected a whole bunch of data in regards to engineers salaries, in USA and worldwide. His points seem to be overly optimistic at times, but I don’t have any links handy to contradict his research.
Here are a few points to get you started:
- Zoho, Salesforce pay 40% more than Oracle, Cisco, GE!!!
- Top 7% or so engineers at Netflix, Amazon, Google, Facebook are paid more than $1.4M per year. Next 10% make $700K on average.
- Facebook has lost relevance to Slack, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Pinterest and Quora. If you are working at Facebook ask for a 50% raise else move to a startup.
- Oracle is loosing to cloud startups. If you are working at Oracle ask for a 60% raise else move to a startup.
- ENGINEERS DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON AN MBA. You will make 2X more on average as an engineer.
- Tableau, Splunk, Slack, Airbnb, Quora, Twitter, Facebook, Google pay more than $320K salary to their top hires. Definitely interview at these fine places. Uber top engineer salaries are $190-340K per year.
- Starting salaries for fresh software engineering graduates is now $130K-160K. Ask shamelessly. For the best ones its ~$180K.
- Apple pays 60% more than Samsung.