Here we are, in the last hours of the 2011. Those of us who celebrate the New Year holiday are either taking a quick nap, getting ready for the night of partying or getting ready to receive guests, cooking in the kitchens, calling relatives, cleaning the house, and starting to have a quick drink.
I am among those who are cooking in the kitchens and taking a quick drink. Taking a quick break from all the preparations, it’s a good time to relax and reflect on the year that is almost gone, as well as pave the road for the coming year.
If I was to use a single word to describe 2011, I’d definitely stick with ‘quick’. It seems that only a few weeks ago we celebrated the New Year, and here we are again, a year later. It is, for sure, one of the quickest years I had so far. Things just flew by me so fast that I barely noticed any time at all.
It wasn’t as chaotic as 2010, but it did bring a lot of new and interesting moments. I spent most of 2011 working for FXCC. Even when it just seems like yet another Forex company in my resume, it is not exactly so. New team, new concepts, new technologies, new ways of doing things. The experience I had this year was definitely enriching and empowering. One example to give was my new and extended experience with Microsoft Windows. And even though I haven’t changed my personal preferences from Linux, I’ve definitely learned a lot and saw many things in a new light.
One of the items on my wish list from last year was an Android phone. I’ve been following the platform for a few years and finally I got myself an Android device early in 2011. I also was considering an Amazon Kindle, but that wish changed a bit. Instead I now desire a tablet. And even though I still don’t have one yet, there is one in the mail. Yes, that’s right, I’m awaiting a delivery of a tablet device.
One of the biggest adventures I’ve ever had happened this year too, and I didn’t even have to travel for that. I’m talking about ImpreStyle – a start-up and a project that I am doing together with my very close family. We started back in May and recently we reached yet another milestone (more on that later). There were a lot of slow downs, problems and misunderstandings, but we managed to pull through, solve it all, and push it together. We have an excellent team now, where each one brings to the table something that others can’t. And we have some really good signs for this project for the upcoming year. I’m sure that each member of the team learned plenty of new, but I’ll speak of myself here. It’s been a while since I wanted to get into mobile technologies, and finally I did. I’ve learned a lot about how this industry and market operate. I’ve learned a lot about web promotion. I’ve learned a lot about online marketing – now from a more practical perspective. I’ve learned more about finance, accounting, management, and other areas of running a business. In some more, than I ever wanted to know. Yet, I’m sure I will learn more next year.
Something else that I experienced today and enjoyed a great deal was my first TED conference. TEDxNicosia event was awesome on its own. But for me personally the timing was excellent as well. It came just when I needed it and provided the inspiration that I needed.
While I’m writing this post, and thinking back and forward, I’m enjoying a glass of a real port wine. I got a bottle directly from Portugal thanks to Michael. This is yet another first time for me. I’ve tried the Russian idea of port wine quite a few times but it has nothing in common really. The real stuff is awesome – definitely something to experience again!
Now, for the New Year. My biggest hopes and plans are all around the ImpreStyle project. I think that that will be the year when it grows up, defines itself better, and gets a much needed infusion of resources. We’ll see. Regardless, I think I will get even more into the mobile stuff – smartphones and tablets in particular.
I also think that working on the same project brings the family closer together. That’s what was happening this year, and I hope the trend will continue.
As with any year, I am always looking forward for some travelling. I haven’t been out of the country in either 2010 or 2011, so I hope this year will provide me with an opportunity or two to go and visit foreign lands.
That’s about it really. Instead of having many different wishes and expectations, I am concentrating more on those which are the most important to me. How about you? What are you expecting from 2012? How did 2011 treat you? How does it compare to your expectations from it a year ago? Let me know in the comments.
Once again, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. Enjoy the holidays season and family time. I hope Santa Clause brings you everything you wished for and a little more on top of that. Have fun, eat, drink, and I’ll see in 2012. Tada!
- @CloudFlare Thank you for the t-shirt. Happy New Year and best wishes. :-) http://t.co/gm74OJeZ #
- I favorited a @YouTube video from @recordsetter http://t.co/AxzSlPf1 http://t.co/c2qjD61M 2011 World Record: World's #
- I favorited a @YouTube video http://t.co/90BWQyXw santa academy #
- @jujav4ik Lucky you. I think we'll be in the office until the freaking clock strikes :) #
- Search Captions · Inside Google Search http://t.co/drhvQsmo #
- I favorited a @YouTube video http://t.co/G67ys1ZL В России самые безопасные дороги #
- 69% of Cyprus online users are on Facebook. Are they really? http://t.co/3Sek36oF #
- New note : Dan Ariely » Blog Archive This Is How I Feel About Buying Apps « http://t.co/DTo4Yf1n #
- New note : WordPress constants overview – WP Engineer http://t.co/Edovai9T #
- New note : Красивый вывод изображений / PHP / Хабрахабр http://t.co/Gss9pMYs #
- New note : О хостинге в рунете изнутри / Хостинг / Хабрахабр http://t.co/zxLSHDBm #
- I finally found a perfect site to use as starting page for new tabs. http://t.co/U6lBvtuz #
- Holy Molly! This is absolutely freaking unbelievable. iPhone 4 in pure CSS3! http://t.co/Ou6iBPab #
- I favorited a @YouTube video http://t.co/6iGqQP3Z ibm 305 ramac #
- I favorited a @YouTube video http://t.co/SCD0CyzN Der Mensch . דער מענטש #
- With the amount of computational power available today, no need to learn math. Brute force your way out of almost any problem. #
- @RockCyprus Congratulations! Merry Christmas and happy name day. :) #
- To everyone who celebrates it, #MerryChristmas #
- Stuffed, drunk, tired, happy. At home. Looking for violent and bloody movie to watch before sleep… #
- Конституция Кипра http://t.co/Rxe6jnHL #
- @feios Ну вообще-то я гражданин Кипра. Да и просто интересно. #