It was interesting to find out that one of the meanings of the verb “contract” is a kind of “shorten” or “minimize”. Here is a quote from the dictionary.com:
- To enter into by contract; establish or settle by formal agreement: contract a marriage.
- To acquire or incur: contract obligations; contract a serious illness.
- To reduce in size by drawing together; shrink.
- To pull together; wrinkle.
- Grammar. To shorten (a word or words) by omitting or combining some of the letters or sounds, as do not to don’t.