My brother has a post in his blog about how he is happy with his wireless keyboard and mouse. Originally I wanted to write a comment there with my reasons against wireless inputs, but than I thought that it would be handy to have it here (makes referring to it later kind of easier).
I don’t like wireless keyboards/mice at all. Here are my reasons:
- Slow and inaccurate. Try playing an intensive game of Quake3 and you’ll see for yourself.
- More work without much gain. Charging and replacing batteries is boring. Battery life sucks for those who spend a lot of time on the computer. Meanwhile, the distance you can move the devices is not that great. Not even a medium room diagonal.
- Space saving is a myth. All of these keyboards that I’ve seen come with stupid multimedia functions which there is no good use for. They are always there to hide the size expansion that is needed to fill in the batteries. Keyboard cable takes much less space and is much more flexible (you can bend it).
- Weight. Because of the batteries wireless devices are havy. That is not so noticable with the keyboard, but mouse will provide for some extra body shaping. If you can stand it that is.
- Price. These things are more expensive than there cord counterparts. Plus you have to buy the batteries once in a while.